Emojis have been around since the 1990’s, originating from Japan. The word “emoji” translates into picture (“e”) character (“moji”) in Japanese. In 1997, Japanese mobile phone companies were inspired by manga comic symbols and designed a range of emojis for the booming mobile phone generation. Gone are the simple days of smiley faces – there are now over 3000 emojis available!
We know about the art of floriography - where certain flowers are set to convey specific meanings - so we’ve taken a look at the common flower emojis and their meaning so you can upgrade your message with a little flower power, whatever the occasion.
💐 Bouquet emoji
The classic 💐 simply depicts a bouquet of flowers. Whether you want to send ‘congratulations!’, ‘thanks a bunch’ or just want to brighten up their day, send them a message including the bouquet emoji for a burst of beauty over the phone. Mix it in with other emojis and you can create the perfect heartfelt message.
- Happy Birthday! So glad you liked your 💐
- Congratulations! 💐🥂🥳
- Thanks for everything, I don’t know what I’d do without you 💐💜
- Sorry you’re not feeling well, here’s a 💐 to brighten up your day
- Thought you could do with a dose of extra happiness today 💐
🌸 Cherry Blossom emoji
The Japanese are renowned for their cherry blossom, so it’s not surprising this is a common flower emoji. With cherry blossom at its best in spring, the 🌸 emoji is often used to represent the spring season. Pink flowers are often said to represent femininity, happiness and positivity, so the cherry blossom emoji would be perfect in a message for your friends, on Mother’s Day or to welcome a new baby girl.
- Happy Mother’s Day to the best mum in the world 🌸💐
- Thinking of you, I know you’ll be great 😊🌸
- Sending you lots of positive thoughts 🌸
- Thank you for the 🌸 they look great in her nursery!
🌹 Red Rose emoji
The red rose is the unmistakable flower of love. From Valentine’s Day to anniversaries, there’s no better emoji than the 🌹 to say ‘I love you’. Whether it’s to a new love or a true love, add a romantic touch to your message with the red rose emoji.
- Happy Valentine’s Day 🌹
- Roses are 💘, violets are 💙, here’s a bunch to say ‘I love you!’ 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
- Happy anniversary my love – here’s to many more 🌹
- Sending my love to you from afar, sorry I can’t be with you but hope you liked the 🌹
🥀 Wilted Red Rose emoji
Similarly to the red rose being known for love, a 🥀 emoji is known to symbolise heartbreak and grief. Whether you are messaging your friend to tell them of heartbreak, are sending a ‘sorry for your loss’ or you’re feeling down, mix the wilted rose with other emojis for when you’re lost for words.
- My heart is broken, I can’t believe what happened 🥀💔😭
- I’m so sorry for your loss 🥀
- The flowers have finally 🥀, they lasted a long time though!
- I’m sorry you are finding things difficult 🥀 I’m here if you need anything.
🌻 Sunflower emoji
When you think of cheerful sunflowers, it’s hard not to think of sunshine. Representing adoration and loyalty, the 🌻 emoji is perfect to send to a friend to brighten up their day or if you want to send some happy and positive vibes.
- Sending you all the positive thoughts today 🌻💛😊
- Fancy a trip to a PYO 🌻 field? They’re meant to be amazing!
- Hope you feel better after a few days rest 🌻
- Thanks for cheering me up, you’re the best 🌻🧡
- It is such a beautiful sunny day! 🌻🌞
🌷 Tulip emoji
Tulips signal that spring has sprung – these colourful spring flowers pop up when the weather starts to get warmer. Tulips are said to mean ‘perfect love’, making the 🌷 emoji a perfect choice to send to your loved ones. Whether you want to thank your mum or friend for always being there, it’s guaranteed to add sunshine to any message. As one of the first flowers of spring, they are also a symbol of rebirth – ideal for celebrating a new adventure.
- Happy Mother’s Day, thanks for everything you do for me 🌷🌸
- I’m so lucky to have a friend like you, miss you! 🌷💗
- Hooray it’s spring! 🌷 fancy a walk?
- Good luck on your travels, I hope it’s the adventure you’ve been waiting for 🌷🌍
🌺 Pink Flower emoji
Suggested to be a hibiscus flower, the 🌺 is again used to represent optimism and beauty. With links between the hibiscus and Hawaii, the pink flower emoji is often used when talking about holidays and something tropical.
- Have an amazing holiday! 🌺🌞🍍
- Can’t wait for brunch, bring on those bottomless cocktails! 🌺🍹
- You looked beautiful in your dress 🌺
- I’m so excited to meet your little girl! 🌺🌸🌷💕
🌼 Daisy emoji
Depending on your operating system, this emoji will appear as white flower with leaves or a yellow flower with eight petals. A delicate emoji, the 🌼 symbolises purity and beauty. Yellow flowers are also said to represent happiness and hope, so this emoji will be perfectly placed in a new baby message or any message with a happy sentiment.
- Sending you smiles and happiness today 🌼💜🙂
- Hope today goes well, I will be thinking of you 🌼
- Congratulations on your new arrival 🌼👶
- Can’t wait to see you! 🌼🤗
💮 White & Pink Flower emoji
This white and pink flower features Japanese characters which symbolise ‘well done’, so will be a great addition when sending your congratulations on a new job.
- Congratulations! 💮🥂 knew you could do it.
- Well done, you did a great job 💮
- So proud of you 💮
- Well done 💮 on the new job! So happy for you.
🏵 Orange Rosette emoji
Orange flowers are said to symbolise creativity, optimism and encouragement, and this 🏵 rosette emoji is no different, symbolising honour and success. If you are celebrating someone’s recent achievement, like a graduation, it’ll be the perfect addition to your message.
- Happy graduation day! 🏵🎓🥂
- Congratulations on your graduation – you did it! 🏵💐
- Wishing you every success in your new role 🏵
- We’re so proud of you, we knew you could do it 🏵🧡
🌿 Leaf emoji
It’s not just the flower emojis that get all the love. The 🌿 emoji - whether on its own or in a plant pot – is perfect for adding a little plant power or a touch of zen to a message. If you’re talking anything about nature or outdoors, this is also the perfect emoji to use.
- Looking for a new 🌿 – any suggestions?
- Have fun on your camping trip! 🌿⛺🌞
- In need of a break away, fancy a girls trip to a wellbeing retreat? 🌿🧘♀️
- I’ve added new additions to my herb garden 🌿👩🌾
🍀 Clover emoji
There are two clover emojis, but we’ve chosen the four leaf clover as a symbol of good luck. Four leaf clovers are said to be so rare that when you find one, you’re lucky – perfect for telling someone how lucky you are to have them, or wishing them luck.
- Good luck today, I know you’ll smash it! 🍀
- I’m so lucky to have you, thanks for everything 🍀😘
- Wishing you the best of 🍀 – we’re routing for you!
- Wishing you every success and happiness 🍀🥂